The Rochester-Finger Lakes Exhibition (RFLX), a long-running showcase for artists from western and central New York, is at the Memorial Art Gallery for its 68th installment. On view now – August 6, 2023, this year’s exhibition is being juried by Molly Donovan, curator of contemporary art at the National Gallery of Art in Washington D.C.
Every two years, Rochester’s oldest and longest-running juried exhibition showcases the talents of emerging and established artists from a 27-county region. These artists are eligible for cash awards, among them the $1,500 Memorial Art Gallery Award, and were selected by the juror; the Alice Koret Award, presented by museum docents; and the Harris Popular Vote Award, selected by visitors during the first two weeks of the exhibition. In 2023, artists are eligible for several cash prizes totaling more than $4,500. The first five were announced at the members’ opening reception, and the Harris Popular Vote Award will be announced during the run of the exhibition.
- Memorial Art Gallery Award (Award of Excellence) – selected by the juror ($1,500)
Luanne Redeye, Steve, 2022. Oil on canvas
- Alice E. Koret/Docent Award, given in memory of Alice E. Koret by Dr. Sidney Koret, friends and family – selected by a MAG docent ($1,000)
Timothy Rodrigo, Untitled (Aman Family, Interlaken 2022), 2022. Acrylic on board
- Gertrude Herdle Moore/Isabel Herdle Award, given by the Gallery Council of the MAG – selected by the juror ($500)
Lee Hoag, Takes All Kinds, 2021. Assemblage sculpture
- Ida and Elmer Louis Award, given in memory of Mr. and Mrs. Louis by their family – selected by the juror ($600)
Zara Bronwyn, Citrus x Tangerina, 2020. Earthenware, paint, majolica, metal leaf, and brass
- Suressa H. Forbes Memorial Award, given by her daughter, Elizabeth J. Forbes ($500)
Laurel Hartman, Sunshine and Rainbows, 2020. Screenprint, ink, and wax
- Harris Popular Vote Award, given in memory of Dr. and Mrs. Manville S. Harris to the artist whose work receives the most votes from visitors during the first two weeks of the exhibition ($500) will be announced on May 10, 2023. The voting started on the first day of the exhibition and the last day to vote is May 7, 2023.
During the exhibition, MAG will host Cocktails with Creatives on Thursday, April 27 from 5:30-8:30 p.m. Cocktails with Creatives brings fun, passionate people together to share their ideas, works, thoughts, and love of the arts with the Rochester community! Join Frani Evedon, Yaqub Shabazz, Dandong Ouyang, and Jason Ferguson, artists in the 68th Rochester-Finger Lakes Exhibition, and hear them talk about art and the local creative community. Tickets are available for $20 for this MAGSocial event here.
The 68th RFLX Exhibition is sponsored by the Rubens Family Foundation, with additional support from the Elaine P. and Richard U. Wilson Foundation, Chris and Mike Haefner, and Paul Marc Ness and Pamela Miller Ness. Funding is also provided by Nancy G. Curme and Deanne Molinari. The exhibition is also made possible by the John D. Greene Endowment for Contemporary Exhibitions, the Robert L. and Mary L. Sproull Fund, and the Nancy R. Turner Fund for Special Exhibitions.