Fiberart International 2010
May 1–July 3, 2011 in the Grand Gallery
Exhibition Opening Party April 30
Every three years, fiber artists from around the world submit their best recent work to Fiberart International, a juried exhibition organized by the Fiberarts Guild of Pittsburgh. In 2011, MAG will be one of only three tour stops for the prestigious show, which brings together work rooted in ancient techniques and materials, non-traditional textiles made possible by technological advances, and art made from such unexpected materials as cable ties and X-ray film.
The 81 featured artists are a truly international group, representing 14 countries on five continents. Included is one artist with local ties, Jeanne Raffer Beck of Canandaigua.
This exhibition was organized by the Fiberarts Guild of Pittsburgh. In Rochester, it is underwritten by the Estate of Irving Germanow, the Gallery Council of the Memorial Art Gallery and HSBC Bank USA, N.A. Additional support is provided by Nancy G. Curme, Deanne Molinari, Mann’s Jewelers and Frontier Communications.
Listen to Marlene Hamann-Whitmore with Brenda Tremblay on WXXI 91.5 FM‘s Morning Drive.
Pictured: Magnificent Obsession (2008) by Emily Dvorin. Straws and cable ties. Super Suckler (2008) by Stephanie Metz. Needle-felted wool. St. Louis—Wish You Were Hair (2008) by Pam RuBert. Cotton fabric, rayon and poly thread.
View images from the exhibition
Programs and events
- Saturday, April 30, 8 to 11 pm: Exhibition Opening Party
- Sunday, May 1, 3 pm: Lecture by Alison Mercer, one of the artists in the exhibition
- Saturdays, May 7–June 11: Creative Workshop fiber studio for kids
- Thursday, May 12, 10 am to 7 pm: Fanciful Fibers Fiber Faire featuring 30 area artists
- Thursday, May 12 at 11 am: lecture by curator of education Marlene Hamann-Whitmore on “Ancient Techniques + Unexpected Materials”
- Thursday, May 12 at 5 pm: Fanciful Fibers cocktail party honoring this evening’s speaker, artist Jeanne Raffer Beck (reservations required)
- Thursday, May 12 at 7 pm: lecture by Jeanne Raffer Beck, one of the artists in the exhibition
- Friday, May 13, 9:30 am to 4:30 pm: Fanciful Fibers workshops (offered in conjunction with the Creative Workshop)
- Sunday, June 26, noon to 5 pm: Fiberart Family Day (see flyer and schedule)
- Guided Exhibition Tours: Sunday, May 1, 1, 2 & 3 pm; Fridays, May 6–July 1, 2 pm; Sundays, May 8–June 26, 1 pm (no tour July 3). Included in Gallery admission.
- Cell Phone Tours: Call 585.627.4132 to hear Fiberart International artists speak on their work. Tour underwritten by the John Steuart Curry Foundation. Free, but regular cellphone charges apply. Read the transcript
Watch 13WHAM interview with MAG curator Marlene Hamann-Whitmore
Watch News 10NBC interview with MAG curator Marlene Hamann-Whitmore
Read the press release
Fiber in Rochester
Exhibitions, sales and other fiber events around the community