The Gallery Council
The Gallery Council is a volunteer organization that serves the Memorial Art Gallery by organizing special events to raise funds in support of the visual arts.
Since it was founded in 1940, the Gallery Council has contributed $3 million to the MAG. The money the Gallery Council raises supports art acquisitions and conservation, scholarships for children to attend the Creative Workshop, and underwriting MAG exhibitions and special publications.
Most recently, the Gallery Council helped fund the acquisition of a portfolio of woodcut prints by groundbreaking American artist Kiki Smith. learn more
- Art & Treasures (June 13–16, 2013), a sale of gently used original art, china, crystal, silver and jewelry, as well as a wide range of household items.
- Clothesline Festival (September 7 & 8, 2013) in partnership with MAG. The Council manages the food booths and helps to provide volunteers.
- Fine Craft Show (November 1–3, 2013), which features 40 juried master craft artists from across the country, and last year attracted more than 1,400 collectors who purchased one-of-a-kind and limited edition pieces.
The Gallery Council Art Tours Committee organizes art lovers’ trips to many interesting places. Most are one-, two-, or three-day excursions, and all benefit MAG. learn about upcoming trips
Why become involved
The Council provides members the opportunity to:
- Use and develop their special skills and expertise by providing a wide range of challenging leadership and volunteer activities;
- Enhance their own knowledge and appreciation of the arts through its programs, art related travel opportunities, and other activities;
- Socialize and work with people of diverse backgrounds who share a common interest in promoting the visual arts.
Anyone who is a member of the Memorial Art Gallery and who has the time and energy to invest is invited to apply for Gallery Council membership. As members of the Memorial Art Gallery, Council members help the Gallery provide wonderful art and programs to the community. For more information, email Gallery Council Office, call 585.276.8910.