In Company with Angels: Seven Rediscovered Tiffany Windows
August 26–October 28, 2012 in the Grand Gallery
Removed from an Ohio church in 1964, these magnificent windows were stored in parishioners’ garages, basements and sheds for nearly four decades before being rediscovered and confirmed as the work of American master Louis Comfort Tiffany. Now restored to their original glory by a team of conservators, the seven windows stand eight feet tall and depict angels from the Biblical book of Revelation.
In Rochester, a companion installation explores the making of a stained glass window through objects on loan from Pike Stained Glass Studios, Inc., a locally-owned family firm whose founder worked for Tiffany. Also on view are eight Tiffany lamps from the collection of Jeffrey Metzger and Robin Hamilton and works from other private lenders and the Memorial Art Gallery collection.
Here is a short film that follows the restoration process on the seven rediscovered Tiffany windows. It was created for the exhibit In Company with Angels.
This exhibition was organized by In Company with Angels, Inc. In Rochester, it is sponsored by ESL Federal Credit Union, with additional support provided by Robert Lehman Foundation, Nancy G. Curme and Dr. Vivian A. Palladoro.
Programs and events
- Sunday, September 16, 2 pm: Lecture by Valerie O’Hara of Pike Stained Glass Studios
- Wednesday, September 19, 8:30 am–4:30 pm: “Celebrating Tiffany Windows” art tour sponsored by the Gallery Council
- Thursday, September 27, 7 pm: Lecture by Don Hall on “Louis Comfort Tiffany: His Life and Work”
- Saturday, September 29, 10 am: Tour, “American Stained Glass at Third Presbyterian Church,” led by Valerie O’Hara
- On Your Own Walking Tour: Download a PDF that includes several sites in the Rochester area that contain Tiffany Windows. Click here to see the full listing.
Studio Art Classes
This fall and winter, design, cut, grind and solder your own stained glass project at the Gallery’s Creative Workshop. Registration opens August 27 (August 15 for Memorial Art Gallery members). Learn more
The Opening Party was held on Saturday, August 25, 8 to ll pm where we welcomed the angels with heavenly music and entertainment. Tickets are $25 (free to MAG supporter members and above).
Above: Photo by Douglas A. Lockhard courtesy In Company with Angels, Inc.