Awards Presented to Finger Lakes Artists
Six cash awards totaling nearly $4,000 were presented to artists at the July 13 members’ opening of the 64th Rochester-Finger Lakes Exhibition. Five of the awards were chosen by this year’s juror, Alex Nyerges, director of the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts; one was chosen by MAG docents; and the seventh and final award by visitors to the exhibition.
- Memorial Art Gallery Award of Excellence ($1,000): Jack Elliott (Ithaca), Samothracae (2013). Willow, scorched and natural.
- Louis D’Amanda Memorial Award, given by Louis D’Amanda in memory of his grandfather ($500): Renée Simone-Lee (Rochester), Autumn Woods (2013). Oil on canvas.
- Gertrude Herdle Moore/Isabel Herdle Award, given by The Gallery Council of the Memorial Art Gallery ($500): Phyllis Bryce Ely (Rochester), High Falls
with Trains and Mist (2012). Oil on linen.
- Ida Abrams Louis Award, given in memory of Mrs. Louis by her family ($600): Patricia Russotti (Rochester), From the series “Invisible Matters: Exercise #3″ (2013). Archival pigment print.
- Oxford Gallery Award ($500): Thomas Insalaco (Canandaigua), Arcadia: Homage to Thomas Eakins (2012), Oil on canvas.
- Alice E. Koret/Docent Award, given in memory of Alice E. Koret by Dr. Sidney Koret, friends and family ($500): Stephen Merritt (Rochester), Cairn Study (2013). Slip-glazed terra cotta.
- Harris Popular Vote Award, given in memory of Dr. & Mrs. Manville S. Harris ($500): Richard Harrington (South Lima), Hot Summer Sky (2012). Oil on canvas.
Pictured: Director Grant Holcomb announcing the winners of the first six awards on July 13. The Harris Popular Vote Award was announced July 30.