A Musical Tribute
In 2009 director Grant Holcomb was talking with former MAG Board president Bob Gianniny about a possible musical celebration of the Gallery’s centennial. Gianniny picked up the phone and called RPO Principal Pops Conductor Jeff Tyzik—and the rest is history.
One Step Closer
Work on MAG’s Centennial Sculpture Park is one step closer to reality thanks to a $250,000 gift from the family of Edward D. (Ed) McDonald.
Friends of the Gallery and the McDonald family gathered in May 2011 for the announcement that the main MAG entrance, which will include a walkway designed by nationally known artist Jackie Ferrara, will be named the McDonald Family Plaza. Among the honored guests were Ed McDonald (above, right); his wife, Marilynn; and his son, Dave (above, left). Also on hand were members of the MAG Board of Managers and the project design team, Bayer Landscape Architecture, PLLC.
Earlier McDonald gifts include two major works donated in memory of Ed’s late wife, Margaret—George Harvey’s Pittsford on the Erie Canal (1837) and Anna Hyatt Huntington’s bronze Joan of Arc (1915). Another recent gift, Mary Taylor’s metal sculpture Filly (2008), will soon be installed on the Gallery grounds.
Photo by Brandon Vick.
“New and Improved” Renaissance Gallery is Dedicated
In April 2011, more than 100 members of the Gallery Council and the MAG Board of Managers gathered for the dedication of the newly renovated Renaissance Gallery. Among the guests were (left to right) Mary Crowe, who as Gallery Council president in 2004 led the effort to commit Council funding for the project; Nancy Norwood, curator of European art; current Council president Mary Sue Jack; Board of Managers president Theresa Mazzullo; and director Grant Holcomb. Photo by Brandon K. Vick.
The gallery—one of the largest at MAG—reopened in late March following two months of renovation. With a new red and cream color scheme and refinished parquet floors, the space offers an elegant setting for such visitor favorites as Tintoretto’s Portrait of a Venetian Patrician (left, being hung); Bedoli’s Portrait of a Boy of the Bracciforte Family and del Garbo’s Madonna and Child with Angel.
In her remarks at the dedication, Jack praised the project as a team effort. “The completion of this lovely room represents all that is good about the Memorial Art Gallery.” Above all, though, thanks go to the Gallery Council for supporting the long-planned renovation.
With Major Support from M&T Bank, Air Conditioning Project is Completed
Page 1 of 3 | Next page